Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Long Live the French!

Okay, there are a lot of things to like about France, and there are a lot of things not to like about France.  But I discovered something that is simply wonderful about this country:  its food laws.  The other day, I was walking through the store looking for something that I could have for dinner.  Naturally, I walked over to the bread to smell it and stare at it longingly.  While it is true that I have amended my rules to allow for small amounts of sugar in condiments, I haven't quite given in on considering bread a part of the exception--even though the amount of sugar in most bread is so minute that it probably is no different than having a bit of mayonnaise. 

Anyway, as I admiringly viewed the bread, I saw a loaf of French bread next to a loaf of Italian bread, and I thought:  "I have eaten both of these breads and they always taste the same.  I wonder what the difference is?"  So, I googled it and voila!  I discovered that by French law, French bread may only have four ingredients:  yeast, flour, water and salt.  NO SUGAR!  It was amazing.  Italian bread usually has all sorts of other things in it, including milk and sugar.  The great thing about my discovery is that it opened a whole new world for me:  bread can be a part of my life again (though, to be honest, it isn't probably a good thing that I can eat bread again, it is one of my great weaknesses).

There is, of course, one hitch:  French food law does not apply in America, only in the European Union.  So, the first loaf of French bread I picked up (the generic brand baked by the grocery store I was at) had all sorts of stuff in it, including sugar.  I did quickly find my favorite brand of bread, La Brea, which did have some preservatives in it (also against French law), but no sugar.  I hurried home and had a very yummy snack of french bread, basil and mozzarella cheese.  A snack compliant with no diet on earth, but one with exactly zero sugar in it.

No comments: