Thursday, June 7, 2012

Appetite Suppression Technique: An Apple a Day Makes Me Sick

Okay, so I have been trying to find ways to satiate my appetite in the afternoons, and I have finally found a way to do it:  Apples.  My entirely life, I have loved apples.  They have made up a core part of my diet (no pun intended!).  A few years ago, I discovered my favorite apple, the Honey Crisp, which is frankly one of the best man-made fruits ever (the Honey Crisp is a hybrid apple which combines the sweetness, crispiness and tartness, making it a virtual fruit of the gods, but not an actual fruit of the gods). 
Anyway, about a year after moving to Northern Virginia (where I lived before Boise), eating apples started making me sick.  It started slowly, then all of a sudden, I couldn't eat an apple without wanting--even wishing--to throw up.  I have no idea why this has happened, but it really is one of the saddest things that has ever happened.  I have no idea why I couldn't start getting nauseated when I ate ice cream, or pie, or cupcakes or donuts.  Oh no, I had to get sick eating the single easiest health food ever conceived.  I have essentially had to stop eating apples (and apple juice) for the last four years. 

Then, a few weeks ago, I picked an apple up, hopeful that after such a long hiatus, I would be able to pick up the fruit again with gusto.  I immediately got sick and couldn't eat the rest of the day.  That is when I got my idea for appetite suppression.  So, ever day I eat an apple at lunchtime.  I have found that eating it with peanut butter (all natural peanut butter with no sugar added) helps me to stay at "mild nausea" instead of "violently ill."  The technique has worked wonders for the afternoon munchies.  I still get a good breakfast and lunch (usually) in before I eat the apple, and then by the time dinner rolls around, I am usually in good shape to eat a healthy meal. 

I have done a lot of looking for why apples might make me sick, but I have absolutely no idea.  If any of you scientists out there have an explanation, or if any of you out there also get sick from eating apples, let me know. . . .

No comments: