Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Desperate for a Treat: Pineapple Coconut Popsicles

Okay, so I have been desperate for a cold treat the last few days as we have had some pretty warm weather here in Boise.  Sunday, I decided to try my hand at making up my own recipe by making pineapple coconut popsicles.  This is something my wife Emily and I have been talking about doing for a while, because we really like these Dryer's Fruit popsicles, but they add unnecessary sugar to them. 

The recipe turned out pretty good, but just slightly not as good as something that had a cup or two of sugar or corn syrup in it.  Given my circumstances, though, I am not complaining.  Here is the recipe:

1.  Cut up a fresh pineapple.
2.  Put it in a food processor and pummel.
3.  Shake in some unsweetened coconut flakes (don't add to many like I did).
4.  If the mixture looks a little "dry," add a little unsweetened pineapple juice.
5.  Freeze (they take a long time to freeze).
6.  Enjoy.

I didn't take any pictures, but I will try to do that next time.  Anyway, if you are going sugar free, it is a nice alternative, though I am not positive if I like it more than just eating a pineapple.  Plus, if I am honest with myself, there is probably just as much sugar in the form of fructose in these popsicles as there is in the Dryer's ones.  Oh well . . . for someone who hasn't really had a dessert in three weeks, it wasn't bad.

No comments: