Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Fresh Out of Fresh Breath

Okay, sadly today, I am forced to once again amend my rules.  I have been inadvertently violating my no sugar rule for a while now by using breath fresheners.  Do not be fooled by the label "Sugar Free" on all those packs of gum.  Apparently, gum and mints utilize sugar as a key ingredient for keeping your breath minty fresh.  There is essentially no breath freshener out there that does not have sugar or a sugar substitute in it.  I went to the store the other day to look for one, and after an exhaustive effort, found that there literally is nothing you can do to freshen your breath without ingesting some kind of sweetener.  I also discovered that you can, if you are not careful, ingest some interesting heavy metals too (in other words, check the ingredients of that gum you are chewing). 

The problem is that I really like my Altoids minis, and I can't very well walk around with a toothbrush everywhere I go or carry around peppermint leaves to chew.  So, I am going to have to allow myself the occasional piece of gum or mint.  I figure nothing--even being fat--is more offensive than bad breath and, therefore, I am justified in my actions.  For those of you who disagree with me, go a few days without freshening your breath and see how many people try to avoid you like the plague.  I think you will agree with me that a Fresh Breath Exception is the right thing to do. 

No comments: