Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Building a Costco Protein Shake

Okay, as many of you know, I love Costco--except when I am on a diet.  Costco's free samples are the best, but usually there are a few too many in the bakery section, which are all pretty much off limits when you can't eat sugar.  The other day, I had to go for those big red cups they sell (I love those cups) and some paper towels (by the way, Costco is NOT the place to get these items, they are way overpriced, but I went anyway).  While I was there, they had not one, but TWO different cinnamon rolls they were sampling.  Seriously, it was like they were deliberately trying to torture me.  Anyway, I was thinking about this as I was making a protein shake this morning and realized that I was making the entire meal from Costco products.  I thought I would share my recipe with you, and if I am really lucky, maybe I can fulfill a lifelong dream and get it published in the monthly Costco Connection magazine for "Executive Members." 

Just as a disclaimer, I have never liked protein shakes, but I really like this one.  I am not sure if it is because I have been having shakes for so long now that I am developed a taste for them, or if it is because it really is good, but try it out for yourself and see what you think.

This is what you need:

1.  1/2 cup Rader Farms Frozen Mixed Berries (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
2.  1/2 a large banana
3.  1 and 1/2 scoops of Cytosport 100 Percent Whey protein (chocolate flavor)
4.  1 cup Kirtland brand skim milk
5.  3 ice cubes
6.  1 teaspoon ground flax seed

Directions:  Put everything in a blender and blend.  Actually, I have found if I put the ice and the berries in first, then the milk, then the banana, protein and flax, and mix for about three or four minutes, I end up with a fully blended, fluffy protein shake that is quite good.  If you like more of a drink, add a little extra milk, if you like a really think shake, add two more ice cubes.

All of these products can be purchased at Costco (though my flax and ice cubes weren't).  For the most part, everything is reasonably priced, but I will warn you, the protein is pretty expensive (about $45).  The nice thing is that I buy one about every four months, so you end up getting quite a few shakes out of it.  If you want to taste it before you buy it, no problem.  Just shoot me an email and I will mail you two scoops of the stuff!  Enjoy!

No comments: